LockDown Browser is a custom browser that locks down the testing environment in Brightspace. When students use LockDown Browser to access a quiz, they are unable to print, copy, go to another URL, access other applications, or close a quiz until it is submitted for grading. Tests created for use with LockDown Browser cannot be accessed with standard browsers, either.
To set up a quiz or exam in Brightspace that requires students to use LockDown Browser, follow these steps:
1. Using Chrome, log into Brightspace.
2. In the course, open the Quizzes tab and click on the LockDown Browser tab.
3. A list of deployed tests will be displayed. Quizzes labeled with “Required” require students to use LockDown Browser. Quizzes labeled with “Not Required” don’t require LockDown Browser. To change the settings, select Settings from the dropdown menu to the left of the quiz title.
4. Under LockDown Browser Settings, select “Require Respondus LockDown Browser for this exam.” You may additionally require that LockDown Browser be used to view quiz feedback and results.
5. Under Advanced Settings, select “Allow students to use LockDown Browser for Chromebook (beta).” You need to do this for every quiz so your Chromebook students can use Respondus Lockdown Browser.
Optionally you may create a password that students must enter to start the quiz. LockDown Browser will prompt students to enter the instructor-provided password before proceeding with the quiz.
Several Advanced Settings are available:
- The first setting will prevent students from exiting the browser until the exam is completed. This is sometimes used in testing centers where a proctor can enter a password to exit an exam early.
- The second setting will allow students to take the exam with an iPad, using the free LockDown Browser app.
- The third setting will allow students with a Chromebook to take the exam.
- The fourth setting will allow students to access a list of specified web domains during the test.
- The fifth and sixth ettings allow instructors to provide students with a calculator or print function in the LockDown Browser toolbar.
- For additional information, select the [explain] link that follows each setting.
- This tutorial may also be helpful in understanding the different settings available inside Respondus.
6. Click Save and Close to apply settings.