If you are teaching multiple sections of the same course, you can work in one section and copy to another. You can also copy and paste content from semester-to-semester. You have the choice to select the whole course or just select the content that you want to copy over. This tutorial covers how to copy just parts of a course in Brightspace. To learn how to copy an entire course, read the How to Copy a Full Course in Brightspace tutorial.
However, it is important that you do not copy over the elements of the course template which include the Faculty Resources, Get Started, and Syllabus and Course Information modules.
1) Login to Brightspace and access the course you need content copied to.
2) Click on Course Tools and select Course Admin on the NavBar.
3) Under Site Resources, click Import/Export/Copy Components.
4) Select the Copy Components from another Org Unit option, and then select search for offering.
5) Search and select the course offering you need content from. Use underscores to find a specific course. Pay special attention to section name and semester when selecting the course to copy.
6) At the bottom of the screen, select Select Components. A list of components available to copy will appear.
7) Select the components to be copied.
- To select all of the items within a component, select Copy All Items. Select Include associated files. Select Continue.
- To select some of the items within the component, select Select individual items to copy. Select Include associated files. Select Continue. A new page will open that lists all items within the components that were selected. Select the individual items within each component. Select Continue.
- Important note: Under Content, deselect the elements of the course template: Faculty Resources, Getting Started, and Syllabus and Course Information.
8) You will now see a confirmation screen. OPTIONAL: To update dates automatically, select the Offset all dates of copied components box and choose how to update the dates:
- Offset by direction and range: enter the number of days and hours to move the due dates forward or backward
- Calculate range between two dates: enter the start date form the previous quarter and the start date of the new quarter, which will translate the new dates onto the new term
9) Select Finish.
10) The copy process will begin. When it is complete, a summary page will be displayed. Select View Content.
11) Content will open. If dates were not updated, select Review and Manage Dates to update them now.
If copying components from the same source multiple times, be careful not to copy the same items more than once, or this will create duplicates that may be visible to users in the course until you delete them.